Thursday, June 9, 2011

Yum...Cauliflower?

 
I am a recent cauliflower convert. Lumpy, white and pasty, I've never been quick to reach for it. In other words, I've sniffed my nose and avoided it in distaste. But I've begun to recognize it's merits and they have these adorable wee organic cauliflowers  (read: normal sized) at the market, so yesterday I thought I'd give a new recipe a try.

Roasted Cauliflower with Raisins and Vinaigrette, from this book:




1 head cauliflower, cored, trimmed, and cut into florets (you may want to use 2 heads if you're using an organic one)
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
Salt and pepper
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar to taste
1/2 cup of raisins (I used golden raisins)
1/2 cup chopped parsley leaves

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. 
Put the cauliflower on a roasting pan and drizzle with oil and salt and pepper.
Roast for 15 minutes.
Combine the oil, balsamic vinegar, and salt and pepper.
Remove the pan from the oven after fifteen minutes, and drizzle with some of the vinaigrette. 
Put the pan back in the oven for about 15 more minutes.
Combine the remaining vinaigrette, raisins and parsley in a bowl.
Remove cauliflower from oven and toss with raisin mixture. 
Can be served hot, warm, or at room temperature. 

It's so simple, nutty, and sweet! I served it as a side with baked Copper River Salmon and Sauteed Baby Bok Choy (a not so successful experiment, and hence, not pictured), but it would pair well with pretty much anything.

Never mind that this 8 ounce bottle of The Girl and the Fig balsamic vinegar cost more than the bottle of Argentine malbec I bought to go with dinner—it was totally worth it. I actually wanted to lick the bowl.
 

Said bowl pictured here. Not my finest photography. But, then again, maybe cauliflower isn't the most photogenic of vegetables?