Friday, May 13, 2011

Green Goddess Rice


I saw this recipe on 5 Ingredient Fix and immediately ran out to buy the ingredients to make a surprise dinner for my husband. This is the like the creamiest, most expensive tasting risotto you've ever eaten. But it's vegan and it doesn't take the arm breaking stirring and time investment of risotto. Pair this with some baked salmon and a green salad and you have yourself a healthy, delicious meal.

Looking back at this recipe, I realize I accidentally left out the olive oil. Oops! (Confession: This could be because I am  severely addicted to Angry Birds and was playing between steps of the recipe.) Adding it would only make it taste more decadent. This savory dish is so creamy good it rivals yellow cake or brownie batter for bowl licking potential. I really did lick the mixing bowl.

I changed the recipe very slightly from the one on the website. Here's what I did:

Green Goddess Rice
(adapted from 5 Ingredient Fix on the Food Network) 
1 cup brown rice
2 avocados, peeled, pitted, and sliced in half
1 handful fresh basil leaves
1 lemon, juiced
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 cup water
Freshly ground black pepper
Kosher Salt
Just 5 ingredients! Well, four in my case, because I forgot the olive oil...I blame the Angry Birds.
Cook the rice according to package directions.

Whir up all the other ingredients in your food processor until it's the consistency of sour cream. (Tip! squeeze the lemon over your hand to catch any run away seeds. I see Giada do this all the time and it works great and makes your hand smell lemony fresh.)

I first tried whipping up the mixture in the blender like the recipe indicated and it wasn't strong enough to chop everything up.


Then I moved everything to the food processor and it did the trick.


Fold the avocado mixture into the warm rice. That's it! So easy.

Enjoy!
 

The best part? This rice makes great leftovers. You know when you make guacamole or other avocado dish and by day 2 it's a brown slimy mess? Not so with this dish, because of the lemon juice, this rice tastes (and looks!) just as great on day 2 as it did fresh.