Saturday, July 16, 2011

My Favorite Pasta Recipe

I have to admit that I learned this recipe almost ten years ago from Jamie Oliver when he was on...Oprah. He calls it Funky Spaghetti. I just call it my favorite go-to recipe for flavorful fresh pasta that is not your standard sauce and noodles. And it's the perfect way for me to use my new basil plant!



Here's what you need:
A package of linguine
11 to 14 ounces grape tomatoes, red and/or yellow
2 handfuls of fresh basil, leaves picked
6 to 8 glugs extra-virgin olive oil
2 cloves of garlic (peeled and finely chopped)
Splash of red wine vinegar
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper




First, boil the water and cook the pasta.
While the noodles are cooking, halve the tomatoes, put them in a large bowl and add the basil, olive oil, garlic and vinegar. Use your hands to "smoosh" all the ingredients together.

Drain pasta and add to the bowl in which you've just smashed up all the other ingredients.
Toss together and serve!









Always make enough for leftovers, because when you open up your lunch at work the next day all your coworkers will be jealous of the garlicky-basil goodness wafting from your direction. And they'll think you're a gourmet cook. They don't have to know how simple it was.