Thursday, July 14, 2011

Apricot Galette

Bonjour! In honor of Bastille Day and Le Tour de France, I give you...the Apricot Galette! This rustic tart is among the easiest desserts possible and yet it is classy and delicious.

These are all the ingredients you need:
1/4 Cup of Slivered or Sliced Almonds
Half a Package of store bought Puff Pastry
3 Tablespoons Apricot Jam
1/4 Cup Powdered Sugar
6-8 Apricots (or any other stone fruit or berry you'd like or have laying around)
1 Tablespoon Granulated Sugar (not pictured, and I skipped, but I think it would improve the recipe)



First: Set one sheet of the puff pastry out to thaw. Wrap the other one up and put it back in the freezer, so it's handy for the next time you want to make this delicious dessert. I set mine out on the baking sheet on a Silpat. If you don't have a Silpat, just lightly butter your pan. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.



Next: Slice up your fruit. I started with whole apricots.




Which I halved and pitted.



And then halved. And halved again.



Next: Measure your sugar and almonds into your food processor and chop up to make a fine powder.



By now your puff pastry should be thawed enough. Unfold it on your pan and roll it/stretch it to desired size (I just left it pretty much as is.) Important! Prick the puff pastry generously with a fork. Spread your powdered sugar and almond mixture over the center of the pastry, leaving about an inch border.



Next arrange your fruit on the center of the pastry, leaving about an inch border. I arranged my apricots in straight lines this time. I think next time I'll try a more complicated pattern or design, but when I was making this my mother-in-law was visiting and I was playing it safe. I didn't want to take any chances with another disaster like the peach clafloutis egg shell fiasco/meltdown of 2010, the last time she visited us.



Once you're happy with the fruit arrangement. Fold over the edges of your pastry shell. Top with the granulated sugar and the apricot jam.





Bake for about 30 minutes. Until it looks golden brown and puffy.



I served mine with ice cream. Which probably isn't very French, but chacun son goût.


Bon appetit!